Friday, February 15, 2019

Free Solo

It's simply incredible, what some people can do.

You look up at the mountains sometimes when you're visiting or living in mountainous regions, and wonder how in the hell people climb straight up them?, what drives them to take such risks?, on cliffs so sheer they redefine verticality, many of them climbing without gear, free soloing I believe it's called, totally dependent on their mastery of the elements, completely reliant on their will, and their will alone.

Incredible.

Exceptionally distinct athleticism.

I could never get into it, I was more into reading myself, reading thick books that built your vocabulary and challenged your mind in a different way, laidback reclining or chillin' on the métro, out in a field somewhere in Summer, always ready to pull out some impacting book, before watching films or television later on in the relaxing evening.

It's not even close to being slightly comparable to free soloing, but reading books is a lot like working out, working your mind out, indubitably.

After taking an extended break from Proust for instance, the first time I pick up The Search it's slow going, but if I make sure to read twenty pages, and then read twenty pages again each day for weeks then months I eventually find myself flying through the text, as if I've gone from lifting 80 to 200 pounds.

I hate weightlifting.

I was asked to do it once but after my friend saw the look on my face when he suggested it he never asked again.

But climbing mountains without gear, on rock faces which inspire fear in nimble surefooted mountain goats, death a real and imposing possibility, it's something I can't quite get my head around.

In this technological age, where it seems like web design is becoming the most stunning art form, video games are played by thousands of people forming international teams online, and coding is clearly the most valuable second or third language anyone can learn, I'm serious, public and private schools should be teaching coding starting in grade 1 and then all the way through to University, other countries already understand this and may excel accordingly in decades to come, people are still driven by raw primordial caveperson ingenuity to take nothing but a bit of chalk and some clothing, and mock impossibility with galant courageous alarm.

That's what Alex Honnold does in Free Solo, a documentary that follows him for some time as he prepares to climb Yosemite's El Capitan Wall, which no one has ever free soloed before.

The bravest most elite climbers in the world shiver when contemplating its danger, yet Mr. Honnold approaches like it's just another haughty cliff amongst many.

His partner Sanni is less lighthearted about his chosen career path and their relationship cultivates additional layers which add even more endearing amour to an inherently romantic film.

Blunt though it may be.

I had vertigo just watching from my seat in the theatre, totally blown away by Honnold's superlative athletic endeavours.

How many athletes can say they've done that?

An incredible film incredibly capturing feats that are purely incredible, Free Solo freely excels at reaching unique unparalleled heights.

It's not about asking why? or spending time pondering existence.

It's about action, raw caveperson action.

Like charting the Australian desert (In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson).

Intense highly specialized exposure.

No comments: