Friday, March 31, 2017

Paterson

Keep your ears open.

Your eyes.

That cat, that pick up, that vroom, that bud.

I didn't see trees covered in ice this winter.

I rhyme too much.

Rhyme provides focus.

Focus indents fusions.

Sometimes it doesn't.

I rhyme too much.

I love rhyming.

I also love poems that don't rhyme.

Proust mentioned that he liked rhyming.

I don't know if he changed his mind.

There's an old thought, an old idea, about auras of authenticity. Rich people used to use this idea to claim that works written by other rich people were authentic because they possessed a sacred aura that legitimized their being. Things were too religious at the time. Poor people realized that they could also make art yet were denied the sacred aura because they didn't know the right things to say or discuss when questioned. Pop culture developed to challenge the lofty realm of the fussy elitist and continues to frustrate purists to this day. Yet people still obsess about auras and the sacred like they're postmodern divinities acculturating themselves to materialistic throes.

It's confusing.

I really don't care.

I like rhyming.

Sometimes I don't like rhyming.

I didn't used to rhyme so much.

But Paterson reminded me of how impacting, how chill cool distant yet immediate poems that don't rhyme can be.

Or poems that kind of rhyme, sort of rhyme here, don't really rhyme there, aren't concerned with rhyming, are just expressing something like upholstery or glades.

Or they are concerned with something that it seems as if they aren't concerned with, like girls.

What a partner. What a character.  Laura (Golshifteh Farahani) is one of Jarmusch's best, imagine coming home to someone like that, it's like you'd be living with receptive discursivity, a poem, a book, Paterson (Adam Driver) is also chill, a lot of chill in this film, not too cool, elitist cool, but chill cool, livin' it cool, with a disruptive jealous dog.

Tons of sweet bus shots too, bus moments, cinematography by Frederick Elmes (Eraserhead).

It's hard to write in my favourite spots in Winter.

I tried to see every Abbott and Costello movie in my youth.

They have quite a few.

I didn't see all of them.

I used to have a bus license.

I thought it would have been cool to just show Lou Costello park and not talk about it later.

I'm making a sandwich later.

I bought vegetarian ham this week.

It's not bad.

No comments: