Thursday, November 27, 2008

Across the Universe

Beatle's songs, Beatle's songs, and Beatle's songs. Beatle's songs abound in Julie Taymore's new film Across the Universe, a musical examination of 1960's America tailored by the insight's of John, Paul, George and Ringo. About 15 minutes in I remembered that musicals aren't really my thing, but I relaxed, ignored my pretensions, and slowly fell for Taymore's vivid visual style. It's a well choreographed musical melodrama, filled with blooming relationships, anti-war imagery, psychedelic surges, and corny cliches. All packed into some 15 odd music videos, some of which motivate the plot, others which praise the music for its own sake. Across the Universe caught me in its vision and I enjoyed watching the myriad musical numbers interrupt and reinterpret the narrative. The depth of its set-list and commendable costumes make up for its predictable plot, and even though its characters are hard to take at times, overall, they're a commendable bunch of confused individuals, trying to make ends meet practically and idealistically. Come for the music, stay for the theatrics, ignore the dialogue, and simply let it be.

No comments: