Thursday, November 27, 2008

Spider Man 3

I was surprised that Spider Man 3 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm usually weary when I hear people claim that a film is good according to what it is because this comment often denotes that the film is a successful piece of crap. I like the odd crappy film, but when a big budget sequel extravaganza like Spider Man 3 gets the crap plug, one wonders if it's worth the time. But after viewing it, I have to admit that it is in fact good according to what it is, the third melodramatic installment in a teenybopper comic book franchise that skillfully juxtaposes the maudlin with the macabre, the morality with the mystery. The film is fun and entertaining and is not really trying to deliver any profound philosophical message so searching for one outside of the symbolism is likely unfair. And the way in which it skillfully employs its plethora of minor characters really helps maintain one's interest throughout, notably Bruce Campbell's scene as well as the interactions between Peter Parker and his landlord's family. Spider Man 3 lasts for almost two and a half hours but the pace is tight and when the final reels had played I felt like I'd just seen a typical 90 minute flick. And wow bob wow, J. Jonah Jameson steals the show, adding beautifully crafted stylistic breaks which briefly send one's perception into a ridiculously sublime filmic wonderland.

No comments: